3 – Christ’s Sufficiency
Theme Verse: “Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires.” (Romans 13:14)
1st Truth: God is the holy, just and gracious Creator of all things.
2nd Truth: We are created by God but corrupted by sin, having rebelled against Him, separated from Him, and dead without Him.
3rd Truth: Jesus alone is able to remove our sin and restore us to God.
1. Jesus lived the life we could not live.
“You know that he [Jesus] appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.” (1 John 3:5)
2. Jesus died the death we deserve to die.
“He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.” (1 Peter 2:24)
3. Jesus conquered the enemy we cannot conquer.
“I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.” (Revelation 1:18)
“If Jesus didn’t rise from the dead, then Christians are to be pitied among men.” (1 Corinthians 15)
“If you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9-10)
“Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.”
– What is talking about Jesus so difficult? How are we able to talk about nearly everything else, but struggle with this? How could that change?
– Why is the tension between God’s love and God’s justice important to the Gospel? Why is it so important that we don’t gloss over man’s sinfulness?
– How did Christ’s life as a man enable Him to be the only eligible substitute to pay the penalty for sin? How does knowing this help reject the idea that “all religions are essentially the same?”
– Thinking about some of the categories of people that Todd talked about, which have you most faced in your interactions at school, ball team, etc.
– Give some ideas of how you could work Jesus into your conversations this week? How can you wear the Gospel better this week?