Big Idea: what you believe will determine how you behave.
- Matthew 25:36
- Romans 5:10
- 2 Corinthians 3:17
“You ought to live your life with such freedom and joy that uptight Christians will doubt your salvation.” -Steve Brown
- You are free from sin.
“But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:22-23)
“Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.” (1 Peter 2:16)
- You are free in the Spirit.
“Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” (2 Corinthians 3:17)
“But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.” (Galatians 5:16-21)
- You are free to share.
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” (Luke 4:18-19)
“So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” (John 8:36)
– Freedom is a huge word. Talk about what it means to you.
– How do you view freedom when it comes to your faith? Would you typically describe your spiritual life as marked by freedom? Why or why not?
– When you think about your struggles – what are the areas that you feel like you are most in prison? How do you think you could find freedom in those?
– Do you exercise your freedom to share your faith? What is holding you back?
– What are some practical ways you can put this message into your life this week?