1: New Creation
“Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.’ So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them.” (Genesis 1:26-28)
“Behold, I am making all things new!” (Revelation 21:5)
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.” (2 Corinthians 5:17)
“And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh.” (Ezekiel 11:19)
- A new creation is aware of a new way of thinking and living.
- A new creation is tender toward the suffering and sorrow of others.
- A new creation is unsatisfied until it has more of Christ.
“Oh, that I might know Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law.” (Philippians 3:8-9)
– Where do you struggle most when it comes to your identity? Do you tend to embrace who you are or are you always trying to reinvent yourself?
– Why does knowing what God thinks and says about us allow us to better frame out our identity?
– Do you see yourself as a new creation? What shows you that you have been made new?
– What are some of the issues or struggles that keep you from remembering and living out of the reality that you are a new creation?
– How can you best put into practice what we talked about tonight?