2 – Circumstances
“We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith…” (Hebrews 12:2)
Big Idea:When all you can see are your circumstances, you miss out on what Jesus is doing all around you.
“Immediately after this, Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home. 23 After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone. 24 Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!” 27 But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here! Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.” 29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said.” So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted. 31 Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?” (Matthew 14:22-31)
- Look for Jesus and keep looking to Jesus.
- When Jesus commands you, obey Him.
- Faith is simply taking the next step.
- Faith unleashes the supernatural.
- Fear will sink you.
- Jesus saves you from many things.
- A little faith is better than no faith.
- You can choose to worry or worship.
What are you looking at?
- Have you ever missed out, or almost missed out on something big, because you were focusing on something less important? Explain.
- What do you think the other disciples were thinking when Peter jumped out of the boat? In what ways was Peter’s faith greater than the other eleven disciples’?
- What are some of the circumstances that are happening in your life right now that make it hard to keep your eyes on Jesus?
- What type of circumstance causes you to take your eyes off of Jesus the most?
- What would it look like for you to grow in your faith and better keep your eyes on Jesus this week?