7 – Fear of Dying
Theme verse: “This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)
“What do you believe will happen to you after you die?”
What do you fear most about death?
”No one can live forever; all will die. No one can escape the power of the grave.” (Psalm 89:48)
“But in death you are mere men. You will fall as any prince, for all must die.” (Psalm 82:7)
“A wise person thinks much about death, while the fool thinks only about having a good time now.” (Ecclesiastes 7:4)
- Recognize the uncertainty of life
“You do not know what will happen tomorrow! Your life is like a mist. You can see it for a short time, but then it goes away.” (John 4:14)
Do you think you should be thinking about death at your age?
“My life is no longer than my hand! My whole lifetime is but a moment to You oh God…And so, Lord, my only hope is in You.” (Psalm 39:5)
“I will praise the LORD as long as I live. I will sing praises to my God even with my dying breath.” (Psalm 146:2)
- Don’t run from death
“God is the Father who is full of mercy and all comfort. He comforts us every time we have trouble, so when others have trouble, we can comfort them with the same comfort God gives us.” (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
- Consider how eternity gives you hope for today
“We have small troubles for a while now, but they are helping us gain an eternal glory that is much greater than the troubles. We set our eyes not only on what we see but on what we cannot see. What we see will last only a short time, but what we cannot see will last forever.” (2 Corinthians 4:17)
“God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son so that whoever believes in Him may not be lost, but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)
“Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in Me will have life even if they die.’” (John 11:25)
- Prepare yourself for eternity
“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust in Me. There are many rooms in My Father’s house; I would not tell you this if it were not true. I am going there to prepare a place for you. After I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with Me so that you may be where I am.” (John 14:1).
- Is the fear of dying one of the bigger monsters that you face? Why or why not?
- What makes death so hard to talk about? If all of us will face death, why do you think so few people are ready?
- Why do you think that God actually encourages us to think about our death? How does that affect the way that we should live our lives?
- How does thinking about eternity change your perspective on death? How should it change how you live your short time here on earth?
- What are you walking away with tonight? What questions do you still have about death and our fear of dying?