6 – Fear of Rejection
Theme verse: “This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)
“He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces He was despised, and we esteemed Him not…But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed.” (Isaiah 53:3,5)
Responses to Rejection
· I’ll do whatever it takes to be accepted.
· I’ll never let them hurt me again.
Healing From The Pain Of Rejection
1. I will not live for the approval of people.
“If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.” (Matthew 10:14)
“…We are not trying to please men but God…We were not looking for praise from men, not from you or anyone else.” (1 Thessalonians 2:4,6)
2. I must live for the approval of God.
“…but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what My Father has commanded Me.” (John 14:31)
“…Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)
“God made Him who had no sin, to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.” (2 Corinthians 5:21)
- Rejection is probably one of the most painful kinds of scars we experience here on earth. Why do you think that is so?
- What areas do you fear being rejected in the most? Why is that?
- How much does it matter to you what others think of you? How does it affect the way you live?
- Why was it part of God’s plan for Jesus to experience rejection? Why did that have to happen for Him to be able to save us from our sin?
- As a Christian, what would it take for you to truly live your life more for eternity than the here and now? How does living for God in all areas of your life help you do this?