1 – Understanding Fear
Theme verse : “This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)
“Light, space, zest – that’s God! So, with him on my side I’m fearless, afraid of no one and nothing. When vandal hordes ride down ready to eat me alive, Those bullies and toughs fall flat on their faces. When besieged, I’m calm as a baby. When all hell breaks loose, I’m collected and cool.” (Psalm 27:1-3)
GOOD FEAR = fear that protects us from harm
“Oh, that they would always have hearts like this, that they might fear me and obey all my commands! If they did, they and their descendants would prosper forever.” (Deuteronomy 5:29)
BAD FEAR = fear that prevents us from peace.
“Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7)
HOW TO BE FEAR FREE:
- Face it
- Express it
- Attack it
- Remember who is in control
Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid” (Matthew 14:27)
Big idea for the week: Turn your FEAR into FAITH!
– When is the last time you felt afraid? What triggered that fear? How do you typically deal with your fears?
– What are your biggest fears? How do they tend to show up in your life?
– What did Todd say was a good fear? How can fear help us?
– What is the command God gives us and the promise regarding fear?
– What did you hear tonight that can help you face your fears?