Real Faith: living as the people of God
2 – All about Prayer
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. 3 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time. 7 For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth. 8 I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; 9 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. 11 Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness.12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15 Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.
- Focused prayer for all peoples is our starting place
“More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.” (Tennyson)
Overview of 1 Timothy 2: the progress of the gospel in the world is dependent on the prayers of God’s people in the church.
“God is not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance…” (2 Peter 3:9)
- Bold sharing both here and there is our ultimate goal
- Distractions always arise to hijack God’s people and mission
Purity is essential to prayer.
“Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16)
- God created men and women with equal dignity
- God created men and women with complementary roles.
- we want to be clear where Scripture is clear. Where Scripture is not as clear, we want to be wise where Scripture is clear and applying that to those situations.
“Yet she will be saved through child-bearing, if they continue in faith and love and holiness with self-control.” (verse 15)
- What does your prayer life typically look like? Who do you regularly pray for? How can that expand to pray for all peoples?
- Why should we pray with confidence and share with boldness? What could that look like in your life?
- How can you share the gospel with the lost this week, this month, this year? How should the realities of death, heaven, and hell give urgency and perspective to your daily life?
- Try to define modesty in spiritual terms. Why are we called not to draw attention to physical beauty or material wealth in the church? How does this apply to both guys and girls?
- This week, how will you choose to follow God’s Word rather than the culture’s guidelines? What changes might you need to make to serve as the young man or woman God intended you to be?