My Big Fat Mouth 4 – Goodbye Gossip 1/31/18 (HS)
Theme verse: “The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” (Luke 6:45)
“The words of a whisperer [gossiper] are like delicious morsels; they go down into the inner parts of the body.” (Proverbs 18:8)
Everything that is said must be true but not everything that is true must be said.
“Death and life are in the power of the tongue…” (Proverbs 18:21)
1. Gossip hurts the subject (person).
“A troublemaker plants seeds of strife; gossip separates the best of friends.” (Proverbs 16:28)
2. Gossip hurts the listener.
“Wrongdoers eagerly listen to gossip; liars pay close attention to slander.” (Proverbs 17:4)
–> What you permit, you promote.
- Gossip hurts the speaker.
“Argue your case with your neighbor himself, and do not reveal another’s secret, lest he who hears you bring shame upon you, and your ill repute have no end.” (Proverbs 25:9-10)
Guard your ears.
Why are you telling me this?
Have you had a chance to talk to ______ about this?
“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother.” (Matthew 18:15)
“Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets; therefore do not associate with a simple babbler.” (Proverbs 20:19)
Close your mouth.
“Watch your tongue, keep your mouth shut, stay out of trouble.” (Proverbs 21:23)
“And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.” (Luke 6:31)
Gossip says I am strong because they are weak.
– Why do you think you gossip? What are you looking to get out of it?
– Share about a time you caught yourself gossiping. How did it feel? Did you do something to stop it?
– What are some of the ways gossip harms relationships? How has it harmed you personally?
– Is there anyone you’ve hurt with gossip? How will you make it right?
– What has been your biggest takeaway from this Big Fat Mouth series (complaining, criticizing, lying gossiping)? What’s going to change in you because of this series?