My Big Fat Mouth 3 – Lose the Lying 1/24/18 (HS)
Theme verse: “The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” (Luke 6:45)
“Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight.” (Proverbs 12:22)
“assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.” (Ephesians 4:21-25)
“You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.” (John 8:44)
- Satan wants you to lie.
2. Satan gets you to lie to yourself.
3. Satan wants you to live a lie.
“Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him…” (1 John 2:4)
The root reason most of us lie is because we don’t completely trust God.
3 Categories on Lying:
Lies might keep me safe (fear of consequences).
Lies will get me more (self-serving).
Lies make you like me better (pride inducing).
“and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:32)
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)
“Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.” (James 5:19)
– How did your parents teach you about lying as a kid? What are some of the things they said? How do your peers view lying? How does that shape you?
– What are the typical reasons you’re tempted to lie?
– Share about a time you got caught in a lie. What happened?
– Todd said that most of us lie when we don’t completely trust God. How do you see this playing out in your life?
– What do you need to get honest about? How can you strive for honesty this week?