My Big Fat Mouth 2 – Chop the Criticism 1/17/18 (HS)
Theme verse: “The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” (Luke 6:45)
“For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another.” (Galatians 5:14-15)
“There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” (Proverbs 12:18)
“Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.” (Ephesians 4:29)
Your words have power.
1. A fault finder
- We are full of pride
- We are insecure
- We just don’t understand.
- A hope dealer
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” (Romans 15:13)
“Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope…” (1 Timothy 1:1)
waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ…” (Titus 2:13)
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead…” (1 Peter 1:3)
– Did you grow up in a more critical or encouraging home atmosphere? Talk about a time you were criticized. How did it feel?
– Why do you think it seems easier to criticize than to build up? On a typical day, are you more of a fault-finder or a hope-dealer?
– Who are you most critical of? What could your criticism be destroying?
– Who can you begin dealing hope to? What obstacles will you face? How will you go about it? Pray God gives you a specific plan about dealing our hope this week.