Pneuma [The Spirit] 3 – The Purpose Fulfilled (Dove) 11/19/17 (MS)
Theme verse: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)
This week’s icon: Dove
“After his baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.” (Matthew 3:16-17)
1. The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Now, dear brothers and sisters, regarding your question about the special abilities the Spirit gives us. I don’t want you to misunderstand this. 4 There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. 5 There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. 6 God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us. 7 A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other. 8 To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice; to another the same Spirit gives a message of special knowledge. 9 The same Spirit gives great faith to another, and to someone else the one Spirit gives the gift of healing. 10 He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit. Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said. 11 It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have.” (1 Corinthians 12:1, 4-12)
- Every follower of Jesus is given at least one spiritual gift.
- Every follower is given the gift of the presence of the Spirit.
- Every gift was present for the apostles and is still present today.
- All spiritual gifts are from the same Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit decides who gets what gifts.
- Each gift has a function that serves as a part of the larger purpose of the body.
“All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it. 28 Here are some of the parts God has appointed for the church: first are apostles, second are prophets, third are teachers,
then those who do miracles, those who have the gift of healing, those who can help others, those who have the gift of leadership, those who speak in unknown languages. 29 Are we all apostles? Are we all prophets? Are we all teachers? Do we all have the power to do miracles? 30 Do we all have the gift of healing? Do we all have the ability to speak in unknown languages? Do we all have the ability to interpret unknown languages? Of course not! 31 So you should earnestly desire the most helpful gifts.” (1 Corinthians 12: 27-31)
“Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.” (Romans 12:6-8)
2. The Fruit of the Holy Spirit
“But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!” (Galatians 5:22-23)
In regard to the Gifts of the Holy Spirit:
- Ask God to reveal your spiritual gifts.
- Learn more about your gifts.
- Put your gifts into action.
In regard to the fruit of the Holy Spirit:
- Examine your life to see which fruit you are and are not showing.
- Pay attention to your ‘weaker’ fruit and ask the Holy Spirit to help them grow.
- Have you ever heard about spiritual gifts before? What did Todd say their purpose is?
- Do you know what your gifts are? Which ones do you think (or know) that you have?
- When it comes to the fruit of the Spirit, which ones do you need Holy Spirit help developing more? Which ones do you use the most?
- Thinking about your gifts and the fruit, how do you think the Holy Spirit wants to use your life? Not just the future version of you, but you right now?