Join Me: From Obligation to Opportunity 1 – Find Rest 11/1/17 (HS)
“Let us enter a special rest,”…”So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.” Hebrews 4:1, 9-11
“Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him.” Psalm 37:7
“Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to Me. Get away with Me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me, and work with me. Watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me, and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28 Msg)
A few ideas on how to find rest…
1. Learn to be still.
“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” Psalm 46:10
“But I have calmed and quieted my soul…” Psalm 131:2
2. Live with a plan.
“A wise man thinks ahead, but a fool doesn’t and even brags about it!” Proverbs 13:16
- How did Todd’s talk tonight hit you? What stood out? What made you uncomfortable?
- What tends to distract you or keep you from spiritual rest?
- How do you resonate with the video? How do you see your social media/electronic activity helping or hurting your relationship with Christ? Your rest?
- Have you ever experienced spiritual rest? Describe the setting? What was the result?
- What are your takeaways tonight? How can you accept the invitation to “Join Me?”