Direction 4- The Faith to Start 10/25/17 (HS)
our decisions + the Divine (that’s God) determines our destination.
Theme verse: “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.” – Psalm 32:8
the decisions that you make today determines the life that you will live tomorrow.
to step towards your destiny you often have to step away from your security.
“…Lord, God of heaven, great and awesome God, let your ear be attentive to the cries of my heart. I confess our sins, including my own, God. We’ve acted wickedly toward you. Remember the promises you gave your people, God, and grant your servants success as I go before the king today…” – Nehemiah 1:5-11
1. Start small
“Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin.” – Zechariah 4:10
‘Then I said to them, “You see the trouble we are in, how Jerusalem lies in ruins with its gates burned. Come, let us build the wall of Jerusalem, that we may no longer suffer derision.” And I told them of the hand of my God that had been upon me for good, and also of the words that the king had spoken to me. And they said, “Let us rise up and build.” So, they strengthened their hands for the good work. “ – Nehemiah 2:17-18
2. Take the next step.
“But when Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite servant and Geshem the Arab heard of it, they jeered at us and despised us and said, “What is this thing that you are doing? Are you rebelling against the king?” Then I replied to them, “The God of heaven will make us prosper, and we his servants will arise and build, but you have no portion or right or claim in Jerusalem.” – Nehemiah 2:19-20
“Do not grow weary in doing good, for at the proper time, at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” – Galatians 6:9
- Are you more of a starter or a finisher? What makes you say that? What’s something you’ve been thinking about starting for a while, but haven’t?
- If God rejoices over small beginnings… how does this affect your decisions?
- Do you have any divine burdens? What makes you think this thought: “This isn’t right. Someone needs to do something about this!”
- What’s something God is calling you to start? And then, what’s your very next step?
- What about starting is making you the most worried or discouraged? How can we pray together with you?