1 – Two Ways
Theme verse:“Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.” Romans 12:2 (MSG)
1.The World’s Way
• Will I cheat on the test?
• Will I pretend to have read the book when I get asked?
• Will I lie to my friend?
• Will I respect my parents?
• Will I love the unlovable?
• Will I ever be able to break my addiction to Doritos Tacos at Taco Bell?
The Bible calls this Walking in Darkness
“For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander. These are what defile you…”– Matthew 15:19-20
KEY WORD: FOOLISH
“Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.” -1 John 2:15-17
“For you are all children of the light and of the day; we don’t belong to darkness and night.” -1 Thessalonians 5:5
The Bible calls this Walking in the Light
KEY WORD: WISE
“This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. Circle that part – wow! So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth. But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.” – 1 John 1:-7
THERE IS NO GRAY
– When you hear the word brainwashed – what comes to mind?
– Where do you see culture working pretty hard to brainwash you as a middle school student? Is it tempting for you to believe what culture is saying?
– What are the primary areas you are tempted in to be like culture? Why are these areas sometimes hard for us to see?
– How can we prevent this brainwashing from culture? How does God’s Word help?
– How can you apply this message to your life and faith this week?