1 – Facing Fear
We are not David.
“This day I defy the ranks of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other” 1 Sam. 17:10
§ 33.7% of teens are afraid of test taking
§ 51% of teens are afraid of talking to their parents about personal problems.
§ 40% of teens are afraid of peer pressure or not fitting in with people at school
§ 30% of teens are afraid of being bullied or harassed at school or other groups/clubs to which they belong
§ 43.6% of teens are afraid of depression or suicide
§ 66% of teens are afraid of the future or life after graduation
§ 75.5% of teens are afraid of poor academic performance or not getting good grades
§ 56.4% of teens are afraid of money. For instance, worrying about how to pay for things
§ 54% of teens are afraid of having to audition or try-out in order to be a part of something
“The Philistines occupied one hill and the Israelites another, with the valley between them.” 1 Samuel 17:3
1. Describe your problem. “… they all ran away in great fear.” 1 Sam 17:24
2. Make sure you’re prepared.
“…the Spirit of the Lord came upon David in power.” 1 Sam 16:13
Focus on giants – you stumble; Focus on God – your giants tumble.
3. Overcome pressure from others.
“Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?” 1 Sam 17:26
“Why have you come down here? And with whom did you leave those few sheep in the desert? I know how conceited you are and how wicked your heart is; you came down only to watch the battle.” 1 Sam 17:28
4. Change your perspective.
“In any situation, what you ARE determines what you see; what you SEE determines what you DO.”
Remember His promises: (1) I will be with you, (2) I will empower you and (3) I will fight for you!
5. Proclaim God’s Name.
“Am I a dog that you come at me with sticks?” 1 Sam 17:43
“You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.” 1 Sam 17:45
“All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.” 1 Sam 17:47
6. Be proactive; don’t procrastinate.
7. Profess faith in God’s Champion.
– When is the last time you felt afraid? What triggered that fear? How do you typically deal with your fears?
– What are your biggest fears? How do they tend to show up in your life?
– What did you hear tonight that can help you face your fears?
– Why is the story of David really the story of Jesus? How does this story show us the Gospel?
– How can you apply what you heard tonight to your life even this week?