MS Summer 2017
6 – Luau with Jesus
AUDIO: Busy (Veggietales)
“Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things,42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42
1. Our busyness is hard to spot
“Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.” Ephesians 5:15-17
“Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her” Luke 10:40b-42
what is the most important thing you’ve been distracted from pursuing?
2. Our response to Jesus should be: stop, rest and listen
“spirit and life” John 6:63
“living water which never will run dry” John 4:10
“bread of life” John 6:35
time with Jesus matters.
“O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.” Psalm 63:1
We order our lives by what we love.
3. Our result will be spiritual fruitfulness.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5
the most impactful and fruitful Christ-followers don’t do more, but the most impactful and fruitful Christ-followers do more of what matters most.
“Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and then everything else will be added to it.” Matthew 6:33
· Is it easy for you to spot how busy you are? What does that do to you spiritually?
· What do you think it looks like just to rest in Jesus? Why would that be so important for our lives spiritually?
· Todd talked about the most important thing: time with Jesus matters… what does that look like in your life right now?
· What result do we get when we learn to rest in Jesus? How does that show up in your life?
· How can you put the “stop, rest and listen” into practice even this week?