MS Summer 2017
5 – My Crazy Family
To listen to the podcast, click here
AUDIO: We Are Family (YouTube)
VIDEO: Back to the Future Bedroom (YouTube – 2:12)
“Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord, for this is the right thing to do. “Honor your father and mother.” This is the first commandment with a promise: If you honor your father and mother, “things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth.” Ephesians 6:1-3
There are no perfect parents and no perfect families. But there is a perfect God who desires to be the focus of your family.
1. Don’t compare.
2. Listen before you speak.
“My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.” James 1:19-20
3. Honor. Don’t degrade (privately and publicly).
“Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.” Exodus 20:12
4. Build trust. Don’t break it.
“Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love. Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace.” Ephesians 4:2-3 says it
5. Avoid revenge. Learn to forgive.
“Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.” Luke 11:4
6. Choose to love.
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
7. You can be the change in your family.
· What do you like about your parents? How well do you feel you relate to them?
· Where do you seem to struggle the most with your parents? Why do you think that is? How much can you see as your part in that relationship?
· Why is being trustworthy so important? How is trust earned? How is it broken?
· How does God’s commandment to “obey and honor” affect how you relate to your parents? Is this easy or hard for you to do? Why?
· Based on what you heard tonight, what is one area you can work on this week with you parents?