MS Summer 2017
3 – You Are What You Eat
Audio: Beans, Greens, Potatoes, Tomatoes (YouTube)
“Don’t waste your energy striving for perishable food like that. Work for the food that sticks with you, food that nourishes your lasting life, food the Son of Man provides.” John 6:27
1. God created and loves the body.
“You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous – and how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born.” Psalm 139:13-16
“Our bodies… they were made for the Lord, and the Lord cares about our bodies.” 1 Corinthians 6:13
2. God’s Spirit lives in our body.
“Or don’t you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God?” 1 Corinthians 6:19
“Filled with all the fullness of God” Ephesians 3:19
3. God doesn’t want us to use our bodies for immorality.
Yet the body is not for immorality, but for the Lord….Flee immorality.” 1 Corinthians 6:13,18
“He gave his life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us, and to make us his very own people, totally committed to doing what is right.” Titus 2:14
4. God desires us to honor & glorify Him with our bodies.
“You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.” 1 Corinthians 6:20
· Let’s talk a little about our bodies. Do you realize how complex and what a masterpiece your body is? Since God put so much time and effort into forming us, how does that affect how you view yourself?
· What are some struggles you have when it comes to your body? What shapes how you think about yourself the most?
· If your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, then what effect should that have on your sexual purity?
· What do you think it means to honor God with your bodies? What are some practical ways you can do that?
· In what way is your body a place of worship?…a place of sacrifice?…a place exclusively dedicated to God?