MS Summer 2017
2 – Don’t Be A Clown
Audio: All Eyes on Me (Britney Spears)
“And so the Lord says, “These people say they are mine. They honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.” Isaiah 29:13
“So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say?” Luke 6:46
“We refuse to wear masks and play games. We don’t maneuver and manipulate behind the scenes. And we don’t twist God’s Word to suit ourselves. Rather, we keep everything we do and say out in the open, the whole truth on display, so that those who want to can see and judge for themselves in the presence of God.” 2 Corinthians 4:2
1. See yourself through the lens of Scripture.
“For in his own eyes, he flatters himself too much to detect or hate his sin.” Psalm 36:2
“The words of his mouth are wicked and deceitful, he has ceased to be wise and to do good.” Psalm 36:3
VIDEO: American Idol Bad (YouTube – 1:12)
2. Ask God to show you your clown mask.
“Peter replied, Even if all the others fall away on the account of you, I never will! Jesus looked at him and said; I tell you the truth Peter, this very night before the rooster crows you will disown me three times.” Matthew 26:33-34
“Even if I must die with you, I will never disown you”. Matthew 26:35
– 1. Pray
“Search me, oh God, and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way of everlasting.” Psalm 139:23-24
– 2. Listen
“He who listens to a life-giving rebuke will be at home among the wise.” Proverbs 15:31
“He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.” Proverbs 15:32
“But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.” James 1:22
“And you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32
– What are some of the most challenging places for you to live out your faith?
– Where are you most tempted to wear a mask (be a clown) and not allow your faith to be seen by others? Why do you do that?
– Why is our nature to be more fake than real? Why do we tend to like to wear a mask?
– How does understanding our true identity in Christ help us drop the masks?
– How can you put into practice the Pray, Listen and Change that Todd challenged you to even this week?