fail: how to ruin your life
3 – Be Cellmates with Your Friends
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” James 1:5
The friends you have today will always impact your future tomorrow.
“Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.” Proverbs 13:20
Show me your friends; I’ll show you your future.
1. Your friends think they’re wiser than adults.
“Your father made our yoke heavy. Now therefore lighten the hard service of your father and his heavy yoke on us, and we will serve you.” 1 Kings 12:4
2. Your parents don’t like your friends.
“Honor your father and mother that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.” Ephesians 6:2-3
“…slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents.” Romans 1:30
3. You have to be wear a mask to fit in with your friends.
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2
4. Your friends gossip about your other friends.
“Don’t tell me what was said about me. Tell me why they were so comfortable saying those things about me to you.” -Jay-Z
“Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, “I am only joking!” Proverbs 26:18-19
5. They tell you what you want to hear.
6. Your friends are never there for you.
“A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” Proverbs 18:24
“If one suffers we all suffer. If one celebrates, we all rejoice.” 1 Corinthians 12:26
It’s not about what you lose, but what you gain.
- When it comes to friends, what influences you in how you choose them?
- Do you have any friends that exhibit the traits Todd talked about? Do you exhibit any of the traits? If so, what should be done?
- Have you thought about how important it is that your parents like and know your friends?
- Do you have friends you have to wear masks around? Why do you act differently when you are with them?
- Do you have friends that speak hard words and truth into your life? Why or why not?
- How do you apply what we talked about tonight? What hard (wise) decisions might you need to make?