4 – Fear of Losing Control
“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7
“Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.” Proverbs 12:25
1. Are you distressed when things don’t go as planned?
2. Do you often worry about things that are beyond your control?
3. Do you lose sleep over pressing issues?
4. Is it hard to turn off your mind?
5. Does the unknown scare you?
6. Do you often imagine the worst-case scenario?
You are never, ever in control.
1. Take your mind off of the “what if’s” of fear.
“Settle it therefore in your minds not to meditate beforehand how to answer…” Luke 21:14
Worry never changes anything for good.
“And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?” Matthew 6:27
Satan’s tool of fear is meant to deter you from God’s best.
2. Put your mind on the promises of faith.
“You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.” Isaiah 26:3
“The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety.” – George Mueller
- Faith, it brings peace.
- Worry brings turmoil.
- Faith draws you closer to God.
- Worry takes you from God.
- Faith changes things. God responds to the faith of His children.
- Worry changes nothing.
”Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
1. Has this series helped you face some of your everyday fears? How so?
2. What have been the primary fears you face most often? How can you apply our theme verse to those fears?
3. Where does your fear of losing control show up most in your life? How much do you wrestle trying to maintain control?
4. How much of a worrier are you? How does your worry reveal your fear of losing control?
5. What are some practical ways you can apply tonight’s message to your life?