3 – Fear of Intimacy
“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7
“All my intimate friends abhor me, and those whom I loved have turned against me.” Job 19:19
1. Fear of intimacy makes us distant.
“But the Lord God called to the man and said to him, “Where are you?” And he said, “I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself.” Genesis 3:9-10
2. Fear of intimacy makes us defensive.
“The man said, “The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate.” Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this that you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.” Genesis 3:12-13
2. Take a prayerful relational risk for an intimate relational return.
It is scary to risk… but it is even scarier not to risk.
“Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” I Corinthians 13:7
“I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, that you not stir up or awaken love until it pleases.” Solomon 8:4
“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. We love because he first loved us.” I John 4:18-19
1. Before you risk, you must find security, acceptance, and intimacy in Christ.
“And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Matthew 22:37-39
“Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you.” Romans 15:7
1. Have you ever thought about intimacy before? Do you see it as a deep need in your life?
2. Where have you tended to look for intimacy in the wrong places (outside of Christ)? How has that worked out for you?
3. Why is intimacy so risky? What scares you about intimacy?
4. Do you think you can have intimacy with others without Christ? How can you prioritize intimacy with Christ (concrete examples)?
5. What would your life look like if you broke free of this fear of intimacy?