1 – If He is Who He Says He Is / Then I Can Follow Him
“Abraham is our father,” they answered.” John 8:39
“Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?” John 8:53
“Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” John 8:58
1. Maybe He was lying.
2. Or maybe He was just crazy.
3. He was telling the truth.
“But Jesus was silent and made no reply. Then the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?” Jesus said, “I am. And you will see the Son of Man seated in the place of power at God’s right hand and coming on the clouds of heaven.” Mark 14:61-62
Every action was worth paying attention to.
Every word He said was worth listening to.
Every instruction was worth taking seriously.
If He is Who He says He is, then I will follow His lead.
“One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers—Simon, also called Peter, and Andrew—throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” And they left their nets at once and followed him. A little farther up the shore he saw two other brothers, James and John, sitting in a boat with their father, Zebedee, repairing their nets. And he called them to come, too. They immediately followed him, leaving the boat and their father behind.” Matthew 4:18-22
When it comes to His words, listen.
When it comes to His actions, pay attention.
When it comes to His instructions, take them seriously.
1. Describe what Jesus looks like in pictures or paintings that you’ve seen. How has this affected your view of Jesus?
2. How do the people around you talk about and describe Jesus? Can you tell when they aren’t accurate in what they say?
3. Who has shaped your view of Jesus the most? Parents? Church leaders? Friends? Yourself?
4. Jesus IS God, how does that affect the way we see everything He did and said?
5. Did something you heard today change the way you think about who Jesus is? If so, what?