fail: how to ruin your life
1 – Be Wisdumb without Wisdom
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” James 1:5
1. Pursue wisdom from desire
You’ve got to see the need before you will ask with the kind of faith necessary to receive.
Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation.” 1 Peter 2:2
2. Understand wisdom is more than knowledge
“Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding, for the gain from her is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold. She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her; those who hold her fast are called blessed.” Proverbs 3:13-18
It’s you inviting wisdom into every aspect of your life.
3. Know that wisdom is costly
“Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.” Proverbs 13:20
You show me your friends and I’ll show you your future.
“The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever you get, get insight.” Proverbs 4:7
“What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” James 4:14
“Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness!” Psalm 115:1
“In your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” Psalm 16:11
1. What do you think about the idea of failing? What would it look like for you to ruin your life?
2. Where do you feel you have failed already? Do you see where you bypassed wisdom?
3. How does wisdom currently come into the picture when you are making decisions?
4. Why is wisdom so crucial yet seem so difficult to find or use? How does God’s promise in our theme verse motivate you to pursue wisdom?
5. How do you put into practice this week what we talked about tonight?