fail: how to ruin your life
2 – Be Consumed By Your Phone
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” James 1:5
1. Say whatever you want.
“Don’t be deceived; God is not mocked, whatever you plant will grow someday, and you will be forced to face your words.” Galatians 6:7
“Look how small the tongue is yet it boasts of great things. How great of a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire.” James 3:5
2. Use your phone as your stage.
“The words of a whisperer are like delicious morsels; they go down into the inner parts of the body. Like the glaze covering an earthen vessel are fervent lips with an evil heart. Whoever hates disguises himself with his lips and harbors deceit in his heart; when he speaks graciously, believe him not, for there are seven abominations in his heart; though his hatred be covered with deception, his wickedness will be exposed in the assembly. Whoever digs a pit will fall into it, and a stone will come back on him who starts it rolling. A lying tongue hates its victims, and a flattering mouth works ruin.” Proverbs 26:22-28
“Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” Philippians 4:8
3. Believe everything people say is true.
“Protect your heart like a guard watches his captive, because when you protect your heart you protect your life.” Proverbs 4:23
“Keep your head clear; and be on the lookout. Your enemy the devil is prowling around like a lion waiting to devour your life.” 1 Peter 5:8
4. Try to build relationships only on your phone.
“Life and Death are in the power of our tongue, in those who use it will reap from it.” Proverbs 18:21
- When it comes to phone (social media, etc) usage, what areas tend to trip you up the most? What are some of the mistakes you’ve made
- Have you said, shared or posted anything before that you regret? What kind of damage was caused? Did you try to make it right?
- How much of an idol at worst or a distraction at best do you think your phone is? How could that change?
- What areas do you need to grow in when it comes to your words? Friends? Community?
- How can you take what you learned tonight and apply it to your life this week?