2 – Fear of Failure
“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7
“Fail trying. Don’t fail watching” (Bob Goff)
Everyone fears failure.
“He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here, you have what is yours.’” Matthew 25:24-25
“But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents.” Matthew 25:26-28
1. You will fail.
“For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.” James 3:2
When you do fail, allow yourself to feel the disappointment, but not disapproval.
Failure is an event, never a person.
“Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” Romans 5:3-5
2. You can overcome.
“…for the righteous falls seven times and rises again, but the wicked stumble in times of calamity.” Proverbs 24:16
Failure is the price that I pay on the road to God’s success.
“And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9
3. You must take faith risks.
“And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.” Hebrews 11:6
You cannot play it safe and please God.
“So in the present case I tell you, keep away from these men and let them alone, for if this plan or this undertaking is of man, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them.” Acts 5:38
1. Todd challenged you with this statement: Our greatest fear shouldn’t be a fear of failure but of succeeding in things in life that don’t really matter. How does that hit you?
2. How does the fear of failure most show up in your life? What is your fear of failure holding you back from (especially spiritually)?
3. Why do you think God places such a strong value on risky faith? How does that help us combat our fear of failure?
4. How does it help you to know that God even uses our failures for our spiritual development and for His glory? Where have you seen that in your lfie?
5. How can you take what you learned tonight and apply it to your life this week?