1 – Fear of Rejection
“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7
“The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.” Proverbs 29:25
1. We become overly starved for acceptance.
When we are overly starved for acceptance, the very thing that we desire most is the first thing that we lose.
“Saul said to Samuel, “I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the Lord and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice.” 1 Samuel 15:24
Approval addicts generally have an inability to confront.
Approval addicts generally give in to others, but inwardly, they are angry and resentful.
2. We become overly cautious from fear.
“Blessed is the one who fears the Lord always, but whoever hardens his heart will fall into calamity.” Proverbs 28:14
“Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God.” John 12:42-43
1. Say yes to pleasing God.
“And Jehoshaphat said to the king of Israel, “Inquire first for the word of the Lord.” 1 Kings 22:5
“But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Matthew 6:33
2. Say no to pleasing people.
“For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10
“Secure in God’s love, I will not surrender my self-worth to the opinions and judgments of others. When I am rejected, I will not retaliate. When I am hurt, I will allow God’s love to heal me, and knowing the pain of rejection, I will seek to love those who suffer from its anguish.” – Lloyd Ogilvie
- Where do you feel most trapped when it comes to your fears?
- How does the fear of rejection show up in your life? Where might it exist but you can’t see it clearly?
- Why is living for the approval of others a waste of time and energy? where is it an hindrance to your relationship with God?
- Do you struggle more with being starved for acceptance or acting out of fear of being hurt in your relationships?
- How can you take what you learned tonight and apply it to your life this week?