4 – A Lustful Heart
3 /5/17 (MS)
“For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God…” 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5
Lust is a sexual desire that dishonors its object and disregards God.
“You have heard that the Law of Moses says, `Do not commit adultery.’ But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart. So if your eye – even if it is your good eye – causes you to lust, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your hand – even if it is your stronger hand – causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.” Matthew 5:27-30
1. Sexual immorality is normal (First lie)
“He [Adam] gave names to all the livestock, birds, and wild animals. But still there was no companion suitable for him. He’s naming all these animals and then God says, “There’s no companion for you. Let’s create one.” “So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, He took one of the man’s ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib He had taken out of the man, and He brought her to the man. The man said, ‘This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called woman, for she was taken out of man.’” Genesis 2:20-23
“Honor marriage, and guard the sacredness of sexual intimacy. You probably never thought of that before, that sexual intimacy is sacred in marriage. Guard the sacredness of sexual intimacy… between wife and husband. God draws a firm line against casual and illicit sex.” Hebrews 13:4
2. A fantasy-filled life is no big deal (Second lie)
“Our bodies were not made for sexual immorality. They were made for the Lord, and the Lord cares about our bodies.” 1 Corinthians 6:13
1. Experience God’s love (our real desire is to be intimate with HIM!)
“And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God.” Ephesians 3:18-19
2. Enjoy God’s Plan (pursue HIS best through obedience!)
“And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice – the kind he will accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask? Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is.” Romans 12:1-2
- How do you see in your own life how sin came in and affected your thinking and behavior when it comes to love, relationships and sex?
- Where are you tempted to believe some of the lies that culture tells in these areas?
- How can you win the battle of your mind when it comes to purity?
- What are some protections you can put it place for your purity online and in relationships?
- How has this series challenged your thinking? How has it helped for your commitments to Christ and to purity?