2 – A Loving Heart
1. Guard your heart in relationships
“Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.” Proverbs 4:23
“…don’t arouse or waken love until it so desires.” Song of Solomon 2:7
“Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness? What harmony can there be between Christ and the devil? How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever? And what union can there be between God’s temple and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God said: “I will live in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they will be my people. Therefore, come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them, says the Lord. Don’t touch their filthy things, and I will welcome you. And I will be your Father, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.” 2 Corinthians 6:14-18
2. Guard your purity in relationships
“Love is patient…” 1 Corinthians 13:1
“Love each other with genuine affection and take delight in honoring each other.” Romans 12:10
“Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.” Timothy 2:22
3. Guard your future in relationships
“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” Matthew 6:33
“Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Mark out a straight path for your feet; then stick to the path and stay safe. Don’t get sidetracked; keep your feet from following evil.” Proverbs 4:25-27
- Do you feel like you understand love better tonight? What stuck out to you about how God talks about love?
- Even though the Bible doesn’t talk about “dating” by using that term, what did you learn about relationships? What are some of your family rules on relationships?
- Todd talked about guarding your heart and purity tonight. Why are those both so important to guard?
- How can you guard your future by the decisions you are making today?