4 – Run to Serve
“Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!” 1 Corinthians 9:24
We would rather be served than serve others.
“Jesus replied with a story: “A Jewish man was traveling from Jerusalem down to Jericho, and he was attacked by bandits. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him up, and left him half dead beside the road. 31 “By chance a priest came along. But when he saw the man lying there, he crossed to the other side of the road and passed him by. 32 A Temple assistant walked over and looked at him lying there, but he also passed by on the other side. 33 “Then a despised Samaritan came along, and when he saw the man, he felt compassion for him. 34 Going over to him, the Samaritan soothed his wounds with olive oil and wine and bandaged them. Then he put the man on his own donkey and took him to an inn, where he took care of him. 35 The next day he handed the innkeeper two silver coins, telling him, ‘Take care of this man. If his bill runs higher than this, I’ll pay you the next time I’m here.’ 36 “Now which of these three would you say was a neighbor to the man who was attacked by bandits?” Jesus asked. 37 The man replied, “The one who showed him mercy.” Then Jesus said, “Yes, now go and do the same.” Luke 10:30-37
1. PREPARE: Be Ready
2. NOTICE: Have Compassion
Compassion is best showed in the small acts of kindness.
Seeing is good, but presence is better.
3. RESPOND: Take Action
The self-centered life is a shallow life. The self-focused life is an empty life. Love only yourself and you’ll end up all alone.
This year I will run to serve with others – especially the least of these, with a desire to show them Jesus’ love. It may not be convenient and it may cost me, but it will be worth it, so I will run to serve!
- How has this Resolution Run series impacted you? What are some practices you will put in place to run spiritually this New Year?
- What do you hope to see in your life spiritually at the end of 2017?
- Are you able to see your self-centeredness? What else may be hindering you from being all in with Jesus?
- The challenge tonight is to “run to serve”. What would that look like in your life? How can you better prepare, notice and respond to those around you in need?
- What are some practical ways you can serve (home, friends, school, strangers)?