Would You Rather?
2 – Have control or live surrendered
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6
“Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. She had a female Egyptian servant whose name was Hagar. And Sarai said to Abram, “Behold now, the Lord has prevented me from bearing children. Go in to my servant; it may be that I shall obtain children by her.” Genesis 16:1-2
1. Is it worth my concern?
2. Is it mine to control?
“Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. “For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.” Matthew 16:24-25
3. Is it for God alone?
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Philippians 4:6
“The peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7
“I will tell you the secret. God has had all there was of me. There have been men with greater brains than I have, men with greater opportunities, but from the day that I got the poor of London on my heart and caught a vision of what Jesus could do with them, on that day I made up my mind that God should have all of William Booth there was.” -William Booth/Founder of The Salvation Army
- If you could have full control over something, what would it be? Why?
- When it comes to your faith, do you have a hard time with letting go of control? Why do we tend to choose control over surrender?
- What is the big area God brought to your mind tonight that you may need to let go of?
- Talk about a time when you felt completely out of control. What did you learn? What did it do for your faith?
- What would it look like in your life to choose to let go of control to God this week?