2 – Church
“Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” Romans 12:2
“Peter replied, “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. This promise is to you, and to your children, and even to the Gentiles—all who have been called by the Lord our God.” Then Peter continued preaching for a long time, strongly urging all his listeners, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation!” Those who believed what Peter said were baptized and added to the church that day—about 3,000 in all.” Acts 2:38-41
1. THINK DIFFERENT: Church is about community
Church isn’t a building!
Church is meant to mobilize.
It is a community of memory: We remember what Christ did.
It is a community of hope: We hold onto the hope for the future in Heaven.
It is a community of purpose: It gives us our identity of who we are today.
“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” Colossians 3:12
“All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer.” Acts 2:42
We are sharpened.
“As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17
We are encouraged.
2. THINK DIFFERENT: Church is for hypocrites
“As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.” Romans 3:10-12
3. THINK DIFFERENT: Church is about celebrating and worshipping Jesus
“And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity – all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.” Acts 2:44-47
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10
- What have been some views or thinking you’ve had about the church that aren’t healthy or correct views? Why have you thought those things?
- What have been some positive experiences you’ve had being a part of the church?
- Based on tonight, why do we need to “think different” when it comes to church?
- What is the purpose of the church? So how then should that be our purpose?
- How should “thinking different” about church help us to care about our friends? How can you share with them this week?