For the Win
3 – Humility
“And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?” Matthew 16:26
Humility is understanding who you are in relationship to who Jesus is.
“He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.” John 3:30
To mature physically you must INCREASE, but what I want you to see in this today is that to mature spiritually you must DECREASE.
“Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.” Philippians 2:3-8
1. Humility is not thinking less of myself.
2. Humility is thinking of myself less.
3. Humility is not the easy way.
4. Humility is the Jesus way.
Seeking to meet the needs of others for the sake of representing the Gospel in both word and deed.
“When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you.” John 13:12-15
1. Serve out of compassion not obligation
“Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.” Romans 12:9-13
2. Serve to grow in humility not in recognition
- Does humility seem like a ‘winning’ character trait to you? Why or why not?
- Why is humility so difficult for all of us?
- How is Jesus the perfect example of humility and service for us? What are some ways you can model and practice humility and serving like Him?
- Why does serving help us grow in our humility? Where can you serve others this week?
- What are some big takeaways for you from this “For the Win” series?