Make Your Mark
2 – Love
“He [God] has shown all you people what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8
Treat offenders or those in distress with Godly compassion.
1. Love mercy because of God’s character
“The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness” Exodus 34:6
“The Lord is slow to anger and rich in unfailing love, forgiving every kind of sin and rebellion.” Numbers 14:18a
“The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease.” Lamentations 3:22
2. Love mercy because of God’s command
“Remember me for this, my God, and do not blot out what I have so faithfully done for the house of my God and its services.” Nehemiah 13:14
3. Love mercy because of Christ’s example
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37-40
“For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’ “Then these righteous ones will reply, `Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?’ And the King will tell them, `I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’ Matthew 25:35-40
1. If you had to put how loving (towards others) on a scale of 10, how would you rate yourself?
2. Why do you think that love is such an important part of our faith in action? How did we see this in Jesus life and ministry?
3. How does reflecting on how much Christ has loved you better help you love others?
4. What does it look like in your life to love those that aren’t like you? What about loving your enemies?
5. How would you describe the mark you want to make on this world? How can you start even this week?