2 – Protection from God
“Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men [and women] of courage; be strong.” 1 Corinthians 16:13
“What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.” A.W. Tozer
“The Lord is a man of war; the Lord is his name.” Exodus 15:3
“For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.” 1 John 5:4
“And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.” Colossians 2:13-14
“In this, He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.” Colossians 2:15
1. We live with courage from God’s promises.
“Because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you” John 16:6-7
“A little while, and you will see me no longer; and again a little while, and you will see me.” So some of his disciples said to one another, “What is this that he says to us, ‘A little while, and you will not see me, and again a little while, and you will see me’” John 16:16-17
“You will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn into joy” John 16:20
“The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” Genesis 12:1
“After this, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision: ’Do not be afraid, Abram, I am your shield, your very great reward.’” Genesis 15:1
He protects us in times of doubt.
He rescues us in times of danger.
2. We live with courage from our experiences.
“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you” Hebrews 13:5
“… and behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20
3. We live with courage on God’s mission.
“Christ has come into the world not to condemn the world but to save the world.” John 3:17
- How does your view of God affect your life in general? How does it affect your evangelism?
- Does seeing God as your Protector and Defender change things? How?
- How do God’s promises affect your courage? How could you strengthen your courage through them?
- Why does looking at your past experiences help (or hurt maybe) when it comes to your courage? Has God ever failed you?
- How can you be more courageous on mission this week? What are practical ways you can apply this message?