For the Win
2 – Wisdom
“And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?” Matthew 16:26
“If you have integrity, it’s all that matters. If you don’t have integrity, it’s all that matters.”
Wisdom -the ability to judge correctly and to follow the best course of action, based on knowledge and understanding.
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Proverbs 1:7
We make our decisions and our decisions make us.
1. A wise person asks God for wisdom
“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.” James 1:5
“Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment.” Proverbs 9:10
2. A wise person uses wisdom
“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.” Matthew 7:24
“A wise child brings joy to a father; a foolish child brings grief to a mother.” Proverbs 10:1
3. A wise person applies the counsel of others
“Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.” Proverbs 12:15
“Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” Proverbs 13:20
“…bad company corrupts good character.” 1 Corinthians 15:33
4. A wise person learns from past experiences
“A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.” Proverbs 27:12
5. A wise person listens to God’s Spirit as a guide
“How long, you simpletons, will you insist on being simpleminded? How long will you mockers relish your mocking? How long will you fools hate knowledge? Come and listen to my counsel. I’ll share my heart with you and make you wise.” Proverbs1:22-23
“Those who trust their own insight are foolish, but anyone who walks in wisdom is safe.” Proverbs 28:26
- What is the difference between common sense and wisdom? Which do you think you have? If you only have common sense, how do you get wisdom?
- Do you consider yourself a wise person? Why or Why not? What would your life look like if you had more wisdom?
- How do your friends affect your wisdom? What did Todd share about wisdom as it relates to who your friends are?
- How can wisdom help you now as a middle school student? How will it help you throughout your life?
- Why is finding wisdom truly winning? How can you seek wisdom even this week?