Wear It: the fabric of the Gospel
7 – Eternity’s Urgency
“Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires.” Romans 13:14
Our eternal destiny hinges on our response to Jesus.
Hell is a dreadful reality for those who turn from Jesus.
“Those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might.” 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9
“Be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.” Matthew 10:28
“If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where ‘their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.'” Mark 9:43-48
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Matthew 25:41-46
Heaven is a glorious reality for those who trust in Jesus.
“But…our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.” Philippians 3:20
“The dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will dwell with him.” Revelation 21:3
“God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
1. Minimize your conversations about temporal things.
2. Maximize your conversations about eternal things.
Do you realize people’s condition apart from Christ?
Do you want your life to count?
“I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me.” Acts 20:24
“When you know the truth about what happens to you after you die, and you believe it, and you are satisfied with all that God will be for you in the ages to come, that truth makes you free indeed. Free from the short, shallow, suicidal pleasures of sin, and free for the sacrifices of mission and ministry that cause people to give glory to our Father in heaven.” John Piper
- Why do Christ-followers risk embarrassment, awkwardness or fear to share the gospel with those who do not believe?
- Is it hard for you to think about hell when it comes to friends or family members who don’t know Christ? Share.
- When we share the gospel, people’s eternal destination is in the balance. Do you share the gospel with the conviction that people’s eternal destiny is at stake? How does this give you an increased sense of urgency?
- What types of thoughts and activities keep us from focusing on eternity? What can you do this week to turn your thoughts from the temporary to the eternal? Think about conversations you have had over the last week. Do the things you talk about reflect your belief in eternity?
- What is Christ’s heart for the lost? Do you posses the same heart and passion for the lost as Christ? Pray for God to burden you for lost especially as you return to your mission field (school) in a few weeks.