Wear It: the fabric of the Gospel
4 – Faith’s Importance
“Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires.” Romans 13:14
We can be restored to God only through faith in Jesus.
1. We can be restored to God.
We can be acquitted before God the Judge.
“God has canceled the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.” Colossians 2:14
We can be adopted by God the Father.
We can be assured by God the King.
2. Only through faith in Jesus.
Jesus is the basis of salvation.
Faith is the means of salvation.
Works are the overflow of salvation.
“Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.’” Mark 1:14
3. We turn from sin and ourselves.
“Repent and turn from all your transgressions.” Ezekiel 18:30
We confess our sinfulness.
We die to our selfishness.
4. We trust in Jesus as Savior and Lord.
“…because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Romans 10:9-13
We believe in Jesus as the Savior who died for us.
We submit to Jesus as the Lord who rules over us.
So if there has been an initial moment of faith in your life… in time it will lead to inevitable growth in faith.
Take advantage of every opportunity you have to tell your story.
- How is knowing that God really is the goal (not just heaven, happiness, peace, etc) really change how we should share the Gospel?
- How would you explain faith to an unbeliever? What would you tell them they need to do in order to have a relationship with God?
- Do you see evidences of being a cultural Christian in your life? Why is it difficult to share the Gospel with cultural Christians?
- Do you know your story? How can you practice so you can be best prepared to share it?
- Why is knowing these Gospel truths so important? How can you work them in to your story? How can you work them in to conversations?