5 – Choose Patience
“Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city.” Proverbs 16:32
“Live in peace with each other. And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.” 1 Thessalonians 5:13-15
1. Patience helps heal broken relationships.
“A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel.” Proverbs 15:18
“You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people.” Genesis 50:20
“Through patience a ruler can be persuaded…” Proverbs 25:15
2. Patience gives God time to work.
“Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Psalm 27:14
“But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.” Romans 8:25
3. Patience demonstrates our growing faith.
“But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3:8-9
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.” Ephesians 4:2-3
- Thinking about tonight, in what situations do you find you lose patience most easily? Why?
2. What relationships could be healed through choosing patience? What can you do to mend those this week?
3. How can you be more patience to trust God’s timing and plan for your life?
4. In what ways do you think your life would be better if you were more patient?
5. How has this “Choose Better” series impacted how you think about decisions? What will big the big takeaway for you?