3 – Choose Wisdom
You’re going to have to let go of the good to grab a hold of the better.
Thinking about what I’ve learned from the past, where I am right now, and my future dreams, what is the wise thing for me to do?
We make our decisions and our decisions make us.
Give me now wisdom and knowledge to go out and come in before this people, for who can govern this people of yours, which is so great?” God answered Solomon, “Because this was in your heart, and you have not asked for possessions, wealth, honor, or the life of those who hate you, and have not even asked for long life, but have asked for wisdom and knowledge for yourself that you may govern my people over whom I have made you king, wisdom and knowledge are granted to you. I will also give you riches, possessions, and honor, such as none of the kings had who were before you, and none after you shall have the like.” Chronicles 1:10-12
“How much better to get wisdom than gold, and good judgment than silver!” Proverbs 16:16
“Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And whatever else you do, develop good judgment.” Proverbs 4:7
1. Fools act before they think.
“Wise people think before they act; fools don’t—and even brag about their foolishness.” Proverbs 13:16
2. Fools spend all they earn.
“The wise have wealth and luxury, but fools spend whatever they get.” Proverbs 21:20
3. Fools hurt those they love.
“A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands.” Proverbs 14:14.
4. Fools think they know it all.
“Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.” Proverbs 12:15
If you get wisdom it can change the trajectory of your life.
1. Fear God
“Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment.” Proverbs 9:10
2. Ask God
“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.” James 1:5
3. Hang out with wise people
“Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” Proverbs 13:20
“…bad company corrupts good character.” 1 Corinthians 15:33
1. Which of these four categories would be the biggest weakness for you: act before you think, spend all you earn, hurt those you love or think you know it all?
2. What is one of the most foolish things you’ve ever done? How did your act of foolishness affect you and those you love?
3. Who is someone you know that you consider to be wise? What have you learned from their wisdom?
4.Todd said, “We make our decisions and our decisions make us.” Share examples of how you’ve experienced that statement in your life.
5. What are some practical ways you can get wisdom and practice choosing wisdom this week?