2 – Choose Contentment
Thinking about what I’ve learned from the past, where I am right now, and my future dreams, what is the wise thing for me to do?
You’re going to have to let go of the good to grab a hold of the better.
It’s better to have less of what doesn’t matter and more of what does.
“Better to have one handful with quietness than two handfuls with hard work and chasing the wind.” – Ecclesiastes 4:6
“Then he said, “Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own.” – Luke 12:15
“A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops. He said to himself, ‘What should I do? I don’t have room for all my crops.’ Then he said, ‘I know! I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods. And I’ll sit back and say to myself, “My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!”’ “But God said to him, ‘You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?’ “Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God.” – Luke 12:16-21
- Let go of what doesn’t matter.
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.” – Hebrews 12:1
Cut back, throw out, and turn off.
We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.
- Fight for what does matter.
“Then as I looked over the situation, I called together the nobles and the rest of the people and said to them, “Don’t be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!” – Nehemiah 4:14
- What are some of the things that are really important to you? Why?
- What is it that you need to let go of so you can fight for what really matters?
- What do you need to cut back, throw out or turn off? Do you think this will be hard? Why?
- How different do you think your life would be if you focused on living with one handful (contentment) instead of two (greed)?
- What are some practical ways you can choose contentment this week? How can you choose less and live more this week?