5 – Rest
“My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20
“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.” 1 Corinthians 6:12
“So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.” Hebrews 4:9-11
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
1. Learn to be still.
“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” Psalm 46:10
“But I have calmed and quieted my soul…” Psalm 131:2
2. Live with a plan.
“A wise man thinks ahead, but a fool doesn’t and even brags about it!” Proverbs 13:16
“Stand by the roads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.” Jeremiah 6:16
1. How many of you sleep with your phone? Check it first thing in the morning? Take it with you to the bathroom? Do you feel some of your habits are out of control?
2. On a scale of 1 to 10 how addicted are you to technology? What is currently causing you the most “selfie struggles” and why?
3. Has the amount of time you spend on your devices affected your relationships with others? with God? How can you tell?
4. What are some signs that you are experiencing the rest God desires for you? How can you practice entering in to that rest?
5. Todd talked about defensive and offensive plans? What should yours look like coming out of this series? What will change in your life as a result of this series?