1 – Repletion
“My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” – Galatians 2:20
We compare our behind-the-scenes with other people’s highlight reels.
- material and financial discontentment
- relational discontentment
- circumstantial discontentment
“I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.” – Philippians 4:12-13
So how do we live content lives in Christ?
1. Kill comparisons
“Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding.” – 2 Corinthians 10:12
“But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.” – James 3:14-16
2. Cultivate gratitude
“All the days of the afflicted are evil, but the cheerful of heart has a continual feast.” – Proverbs 15:15
“Enjoy what you have rather than desiring what you don’t have.” – Ecclesiastes 6:9
1. On a scale of 1 (not at all) to 10 (completely) how satisfied are you with your life? Why did you choose that number? What would it take to move that number up?
2. After processing what Todd shared tonight, what are some areas of discontentment that God has revealed in your life?
3. How does a shift in perspective from coveting to gratitude help? How does taking our eyes off our self and putting them on Christ help?
4. What steps do you need to take to make Christ all you need?
5. What are some specific practices you can put in place this week to live in contentment rather than envy? What needs to change? What needs to start new?