Relationships: No Strings Attached
4 – Stimulating
“But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.” – James 1:14-15
“…since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” – 1 Peter 1:16
1. Pornography isn’t hurting anyone… it’s just something I watch.
TRUTH: Pornography attacks everything God cherishes most.
“Then God said, “Let Us make man in our image, in our likeness…” – Genesis 1:27
“Don’t you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.” – 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
TRUTH: Pornography blocks your relationships with God.
“It’s your sins that have cut you off from God. Because of your sins, he has turned away and will not listen anymore.” – Isaiah 59:2
2. Pornography is only fantasy… at least I’m not acting out.
TRUTH: Pornography’s fantasy affects your reality.
“There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.” – Proverbs 14:12
“You have heard that the law of Moses says, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” – Matthew 5:27-28
TRUTH: Pornography tortures your mind.
“Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.” – 1 Corinthians 10:12
If you’re looking for help:
1. Ask God for His forgiveness
“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” – 1 John 1:9
2. Run from temptation & fill up with God
“Run from anything that stimulates youthful lust. Follow anything that makes you want to do right. Pursue faith and love and peace, and enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.” – 2 Timothy 2:22
3. Tell someone about your struggle
“Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and wonderful results.” – James 5:16
“I have made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully on a woman” – Job 31:1
4. Walk in God’s power
“So I advise you to live according to your new life in the Holy Spirit. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.” – Galatians 5:16
Got questions or need help?
- Why does talking about pornography tend to be so difficult? Do you feel you can be honest about your struggle? Why or why not?
- What are some of the lies about pornography that you tend to believe? What are some of the justifications you make to yourself?
- Be honest about your struggle. Where are the main areas of temptation?
- How does the Bible really guide us in this area even though it doesn’t specifically address pornography?
- What are some the safeguards you have in place to combat the temptation? How can you put some in place this week?