3 – Finding the One
“…a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh, so they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.” – Matthew 19:5-6
If you travel the same road as everyone else, you are going to end up at the same destination.
To really be fulfilled in life, you have to find The One.
“Of all of the commandments, what is the most important?” Jesus replied, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind. This is the first and the greatest commandment, and the second is like it. To love your neighbor as yourself.” – Matthew 22:37-39
Jesus is the One.
Your future spouse will be the two.
Pursuing dating more than God is idolatry.
“Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, who’s name is jealous is a jealous God.” – Exodus 34:14
- I will have a higher standard on who I will see, date or spend time with.
“Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers…” – 2 Corinthians 6:14
Be the person you want to date.
- I will have a higher standard on what I will do or what I won’t do
“As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”” – 1 Peter 1:14-16
“Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.” – Hebrews 13:4
- I will have a higher standard on what I expect
“Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us…” – Ephesians 3:20
Don’t trade what God sees for your future based only on what you can see now.
- Share some of what you know about dating. Where did you learn it from?
- Do you feel any pressure to date as a ms student? What are some of the dangers in dating as a ms student?
- Why did Todd say to better understand dating, we need to focus on marriage?
- Why is having high standards when it comes to dating honoring to God? What should some of those standards be?
- How can you be preparing now as a ms student for relationships and marriage?