1 – Clash of Cultures
If you want something you’ve never had, you need to do something you’ve never done.
“Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” – Romans 12:2
We have a choice to make:
1. I can take steps that are guided by THE WORLD’S VALUES
2. I can take steps that are guided by THE WAYS OF JESUS
“All of us have strayed away like sheep. We have left God’s paths to follow our own.” – Isaiah 53:6
How we are influenced by the world around us:
- watch the world’s values
- embrace the values
- follow after them
- results are the same
Or… steps that are guided by the way of Jesus:
- come be my disciple
- I will show you different values
- I will help you
- you’ll learn a new way of living, loving & relating
“Jesus called out to them [fishermen], “Come, be my disciples, and I will show you how to fish for people!” – Matthew 4:19
“The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light. And for those who lived in the land where death casts its shadow, a light has shined.” – Matthew 4:16
“that we can know the truth and the truth will set us free” – John 8:32
1. God designed man and woman
“He gave names to all the livestock, all the birds of the sky, and all the wild animals. But still there was no helper just right for him. So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep. While the man slept, the Lord God took out one of the man’s ribs and closed up the opening. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib, and he brought her to the man. “At last!” the man exclaimed. “This one is bone from my bone, and flesh from my flesh! She will be called ‘woman,’ because she was taken from ‘man.’” – Genesis 2:20-23
2. God created marriage
“This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.” – Genesis 2:24
3. God invented sex
“This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one. Now the man and his wife were both naked, but they felt no shame.” – Genesis 2:24-25
4. God planned for your future
“You’ve heard it from the scriptures from the beginning God made them male and female. This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife and the two are united. They are no longer two, but one. Let no one separate them for God has joined them together.” – Matthew 19:4-6
“…so you should keep clear of all sexual sin. Then each of you will control your body and live in holiness and honor. Not in lustful passion as the pagans do in their ignorance of God and his ways.” – 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5
1. Learn and follow Jesus’ way
“Long before He laid down earth’s foundation, God had us in mind. He settled on us as the focus of His love.” – Ephesians 1:4
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” – Proverbs 3:5-6.
2. Trust that Jesus’ way is good
3. Rely on the Holy Spirit as you walk with Jesus
“And I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations.” – Ezekiel 36:27
1. What are some of the messages (values) you are hearing from culture about love, relationships and sex?
2. Why does God’s way (values) seem so strange compared to culture? How can we trust His way is right?
3. What did Todd mean when he said, “If you want something you’ve never had, you need to do something you’ve never done?” How does that apply to our topic?
4. How can you apply some of what you learned tonight to your life this week?