The Great Escape
4 – A Food for Your Spirit
Temptation is anything that promises satisfaction at the cost of obedience to God.
“Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:12-13
We’re often so weak because we are not bonded with what makes us strong.
1. Feed your spirit with prayer.
“Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” – Matthew 26:41
2. Feed your spirit with God’s Word.
“How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.” – Psalm 119:9
“With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” – Psalm 119:10-11
3. Feed your spirit with the right friends
“Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” Wake up from your drunken stupor, as is right, and do not go on sinning. For some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame.” – 1 Corinthians 15:33-34
Being around the wrong people never helps you do the right thing.
– What has been your big takeaway from this “Great Escape” series?
– Do you feel you better understand temptation? Do you now see you always have a way out? How can you better fight temptation?
– Todd talked about feeding your Spirit in three ways. What is most difficult for you to increase and why? Prayer, reading God’s Word, or being close to the right people?
– Some of us have a plan for building physical muscle – what is your spiritual growth plan?
– How can you start this week with a spiritual growth plan? What will you commit to put in action?