The Great Escape
3 – A Source for Power
Temptation is anything that promises satisfaction at the cost of obedience to God.
“Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:12-13
“But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.” – Galatians 5:16-17
“For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.” – Romans 7:15
What you feed grows, and what you starve dies.
1. Depend on the power of the Holy Spirit.
the Holy Spirit…
“Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do. For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live.” – Romans 8:12-13
2. Follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit.
“And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.” – Galatians 5:24-25
1) What were some of the big takeaways that you are walking away with tonight?
2) Is there anything you don’t want to do, yet you do it almost every day? Why do you think this happens?
3) What is your typical “go to” when it comes to resisting temptation? Why can’t the go to be yourself or your willpower?
4) When was the last time you felt nudged by the Holy Spirit? What was the outcome?
5) Is there something you feel powerless over? Have you invited the power of the Holy Spirit into this area? How can you practice relying on the Holy Spirit’s power this week?