The Great Escape
2 – A Plan to Fight
Key Scripture: “Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:12-13
Temptation is anything that promises satisfaction at the cost of obedience to God.
The process of temptation:
“Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” – James 4:7
1. Fight back by submitting to God.
2. Fight back by resisting the devil.
“Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world” – 1 John 4:4
“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” – Ephesians 6:12
One of the best ways to resist temptation is to eliminate it whenever you can.
“Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not walk in the way of the evil. Avoid it; do not go on it; turn away from it and pass on.” – Proverbs 4:14-15
Your plan to fight must be stronger than the temptation you will face.
“Jesus himself suffered when he was tempted and because of that, he is able to help those of us who are being tempted.” – Hebrews 2:18
1. Think back over the temptation progression (thought, imagination, justification, choice, sin)… do you see this in the temptations you face? Where in that progression would you have the best chance of fighting back?
2. When you think about temptation, are you stronger on the defensive or offensive?
3. Todd asked, “Why would you resist temptation in the future if you have the power to eliminate it today?” What does he mean by that? How can this thinking help you?
4. What doors to temptation are you keeping cracked open that you need to slam shut?
5. How open are you when it comes to your struggles and temptations? Do you have a plan? Do you have accountability? How can you put those into place this week?